Friday, October 12, 2007

Hooray Friday!

- Breaking news!! Rihanna's smash hit "Umbrella" was apparently written in only 12 minutes. It actually surprises me that it took that long. Seriously, how long does "Under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh" take to think up? Ah, I'm just bitter that I didn't come up with it. In any event, mucho covers and remixes have spawned from it and MOKB hooks us up with the downloads (if you care).

- Check out the tracks from the SOLD OUT Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem single at Product Shop NYC.

- I'm not sure where my mind was, but I didn't realize how big of a deal Radiohead's In Rainbows was going to be... especially in the main-stream media. It seemed that everywhere I surfed this week, there was an article about them and how they were releasing the album. Looking back, it makes sense. This is some groundbreaking shit for the music industry. It's kind of ironic because after a few listens, I don't find the new album too groundbreaking musically. Don't get me wrong I like it, but there's nothing "new" about the sounds. If you're interested, here are a few links to some posts and articles...

- More Radiohead... The Rawking Refuses to Stop! has a rare bootleg from 2003 of Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood at Electric Ladyland Studios. If you're going to O.D. on anything musically, it might as well be Radiohead.


- MOKB is going to love me with the number of times I'm dropping their name. The White Rabbits were live on MOKB's Sirius radio show this week. Fort Nightly has been getting a good bit of play on my computer at work, with "The Plot" definitely being a stand-out track.


- Stereogum has followed up OKX, their tribute to OK Computer with a tribute to R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People called Drive XV (Stereogum is also forcing me to recall elementary school math with their tribute to Roman numerals). I'm not a huge fan of R.E.M.'s albums except for Automatic. Contributers include Dappled Cities, Rogue Wave, The Forms, The Wrens, Shout Out Louds and Philly's own Dr. Dog. Gorilla vs Bear also has Bodies of Water covering "Everybody Hurts".

1 comment: