Monday, August 24, 2009

Phish - Merriweather Post Pavilion (8/15/09)

Never thought I'd ever go to a Phish show, but definitely glad I did. The atmosphere in the parking area before the concert was similar to what I'd imagine Jimmy Buffet concerts are like - lots and lots of pre-gaming. When we arrived, there were a few guys unloading their band equipment and setting up in the middle of one of the parking lots. I guess since Phish didn't have an opener, they figured they'd be their unofficial one.

I was surprised to see so many people there without tickets, just hoping that they'd come across someone with an extra that didn't want a kidney for it. In hindsight, I guess I shouldn't have been... hell, they haven't toured since 2004.

When I got in the actual venue, I quickly realized that finding my friends in the lawn was going to be like finding a needle in a very smokey haystack. After a few songs, I decided to completely give up and just enjoy the experience that is Phish. I wouldn't call myself a fan of jam bands (or even Phish for that matter) but "phishing," as the die-hards call it, is truly one hell of an experience. And until you see them in concert, you just won't get it.

No comments: