Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wilco - 9:30 Club (2/26/08)

I didn’t realize how long it had been since I was last at a concert. Maybe that’s why I was a bit anxious about this one. After making a rather odd Wilco nut extremely excited by unloading my extra ticket on him, I got into the 9:30 just as John “F-ing” Doe was finishing his set. While I think I would enjoy JD’s music, he constantly shakes his knee back and forth while playing. I’m quite sure I have odd quirks of my own, but it annoys the shit out of me - so much so that I can’t seem to “shake” the mental image, even when I’m just listening to his music. I know, it’s petty. And I’m fine with that.

Last time I saw Wilco was in 2003 during their Yankee Hotel Foxtrot tour. I remembered leaving that night with mixed feelings. I was a little wet behind the ears as a Wilco fan, so all I really knew was... well, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Overall, it seemed like a good concert, but I only knew 11 of their songs so what the hell did I know. Unfortunately, the concert ended on a bad note (literally) for me as their encore was full of annoying feedback. Since that time, I've become much more educated… at least when it comes to the song stylings of Wilco.

I settled into my spot on the floor, just in front of the soundboard and took in everything Wilco was giving out. They rattled off a 19 or 20 song main set in just over 1:30 that spanned their entire discography. While I love their last three albums, I was ecstatic to hear a few numbers from Being There and Summerteeth. Two encores later and I was pleasantly spent – from the Nels Cline solos and constant guitar changes, to the 3-piece horn section, to the tight and inventive percussion of Glenn Kotche. There was even a "Grammy" presentation by a fan...



Almost complete setlist below, thanks to Vox Populil. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be "Pot Kettle Black". Wilco was taking a ride and everyone in the 9:30 Club hopped on board for it.

Was I In Your Dreams?
Blood of the Lamb
You Are My Face
Pot Kettle Black
Shot in the Arm
Side with the Seeds
Pieholden Suite
Impossible Germany
Sky Blue Sky
Handshake Drugs
Too Far Apart
Summerteeth
Jesus Etc.
Walken
I’m the Man Who Loves You
Hummingbird
Magazine Called Sunset
Red-eyed and Blue
I Got You (At the End of the Century)
Monday

Hate It Here
Can’t Stand It
Is That the Thanks I Get?
Just a Kid

War on War
Heavy Metal Drummer

If your interested, you can also stream the second night at the 9:30 on NPR. I am fuel also has Wilco's fifth night in Chi-town just a few nights before available for download.

No comments: