Wednesday, May 14, 2008

2 out of 3 ain't bad

All in all, I’d say the weekend was a success – although I would have changed the ending. But you can’t win ‘em all…

The LOML and I caught Flight of the Conchords on Friday night at Lisner Auditorium in DC. The concert was a great mix of music and banter – almost like watching the show, but with just Bret and Jemaine. Arj Barker (who plays Dave on the show) opened for them and did a decent job of warming up the crowd. But everyone was there to see FoC, and the place went crazy when they took the stage. I was surprised how long then played – about 1 ½ hours with 2 encores – especially considering that they had a late show scheduled for 10pm.

Right after the concert, I headed for PA to meet up with the fellas – arriving around 1am. Luckily they were still coherent and had a few left in them when I got there. The rain was coming down pretty good in the morning, which allowed us to get a few extra hours of sleep before heading out on the boat. I think I was the only one who didn’t catch a damn thing, but I’m okay with that. My purpose of going was to booze and bullshit, and I definitely did a bit of both.

With the weekend rolling along just swimmingly, I decided to take my chances and head out to the nexus of hell (aka Nissan Pavilion) to see Radiohead on Sunday night. The rain had really started to come down and from the looks of craigslist, mucho people were bailing and attempting to unload their tickets. My thought was that it might thin out the traffic a bit… and that thought couldn’t have been more wrong. After two hours on the road, being detoured by the po-po a few times, and having no idea how close I was to Nissan, I decided to call it quits and head back to the house. A check of the Washington Post website (blog, article) the next morning confirmed that it was definitely the right decision. I’ve said it before, but I truly mean it this time – I will never go to Nissan Pavilion again!

No comments: