Friday, May 30, 2008

The Raconteurs - 9:30 Club (4/27/08)

It took awhile for Consolers of the Lonely to really grab my attention, but once it sunk its teeth in me it just wouldn’t let go. The more I listened to the album, the more I imagined it in a live setting - a Jack White guitar solo here, a little jam there. To say I was excited to see these guys in concert and what they’d gin up would be an understatement. I expected there to be a good bit of buzz outside of the 9:30 Club on Tuesday, with it being the first of two sold out nights for the Raconteurs. Instead, there were a hell of a lot of people trying to unload tickets and not too many takers. Hmmmm, interesting.

I walked in as the Raconteurs took the stage and opened with “Consoler of the Lonely” and thought to myself that we were in for a night of craziness. Musically it was great, but it lacked the intensity I was expecting. I was truly surprised by the lack of solos and/or jams. Yeah they threw in a few twists and turns, but definitely not as much I expected. Maybe it was the feedback that the band was getting back from the crowd. Rumors have been floating around the blogosphere for awhile now that DC concert crowds are less than spectacular energy-wise. And I'm sure that can be a buzz-kill for performers. I must admit that I contribute to that bad rap as I’ve never been one to be-bop around much… or at all. What can I say, it’s just not my style and I figure it’s in everyone’s best interest if I defer to those that have actual rhythm. So with that being said, I guess I really can't bitch too much.

SETLIST (thanks to I am fuel)
Consolers of the Lonely
Hold Up
Level
Keep It Clean
Top Yourself
Switch and the Spur
You Don't Understand Me
Rich Kid Blues
Yellow Sun
Attention
Steady As She Goes
Blue Veins

ENCORE
Shades of Black
Intimate Secretary
The Stones Will Shout
Salute Your Solution
Carolina Drama

Stream the concert on NPR.
Read the concert review on The Washington Post.

No comments: