Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yeasayer - Black Cat (4/10/2008)

I've been back and forth on this concert since last week. I wondered beforehand how Yeasayer's sound would come across live - both with the number and uniqueness of the instruments they use as well as their harmonies. Hell, a lot of people can pull that shit off in a studio. But it's a whole different ball of wax in concert. Let's just say I was curious.

Well, they definitely pulled off that part of it. I was amazed by what sounds came from what instruments and how they used them all in a live venue. Their harmonies were spot on as well. But what I couldn't figure out was the mood of the Black Cat. The audience just didn't seem that into them, which is interesting considering the fuss they created the last time they were in town.

Now mind you, Yeasayer eased into their set with some slower, longer diddies. Maybe they had already lost the crowd by the time they hit their groove... and with only one album in their pocket, that doesn't give them a lot of time to get it going (the set clocked in at right around 50 minutes). I don't know what it was, but it was weird.

This was the first concert I've ever been too that the band didn't come out for an encore. And honestly, I really don't blame them.

No comments: