Thursday, June 21, 2007

The National – these guys are scary good

Let me start by stating that I don’t go to hundreds of shows a year. I don’t want to start this blog off and give the wrong impression. I attend 10-20 shows a year – don’t get me wrong, I’d love to go to more but considering the fact that I’m fairly exhausted this morning, 1 or 2 a month is enough for this guy.

I decided to drive to the 9:30 Club instead of hopping on the Ghetro mainly because of The National wasn’t scheduled to come on until 10:15. I didn’t want to have a repeat performance of when I saw them at the Black Cat in October and have to leave early in the set to catch the last train. This turned out to be a great idea – not a lot of traffic and a nice, cool breeze made for a pleasant ride. It also gave me a chance to give the new QOTSA album an honest listen and I’m digging it.

I went to the sold-out show without a ticket. No, I didn’t tell anyone that I didn’t have a ticket for a few reasons: 1) I had a good feeling that I’d be able to buy a ticket from someone there, and 2) I didn’t want to jinx myself. After about 15 minutes of standing out front of the 9:30 Club, a lady offered up an extra ticket for face value. With my cat-like reflexes, I snagged it up before anyone else knew what happened. Thank you blonde bombshell for being my damsel in distress… but sorry, I’m taken.

The show was absolutely incredible. Setlist? Sorry, but I have no idea. They opened up with “Start a War” and didn’t look back from there. I read in a blog recently (sorry, I can’t remember which one) that “they just get it.” And that they do - in a major way. I don't think a lot of people knew exactly what to expect, but The National gave their all and by the end of the night everyone was grateful for having experienced it. Don’t believe me? Check the concert out for yourself on NPR here. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.

As for the Boxer vs. Alligator debate between me and Lilbabyjesus… you win. I’m a changed man (still an ass-man though).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up on the NPR Live Concert Series. I also checked out the Modest Mouse show, and I listened to the entire Black Keys concert. The sound quality seems to be consistently top notch. Thanks again!

Gus said...

I think the only concert I've heard on NPR that wasn't good quality was The Arcade Fire. There are some bad-ass concerts on there: Ray LaMontagne, MMJ, Jose Gonzalez, Wilco, etc.